Handwritten Letters in the BookStore
Book Title : Handwritten Letters in the BookStore
Author : Rimple
Publishers/Promoters : Owlery Book World & Notion Press
Published in the year : 2018
Category : Fiction Novel
Sub-Categories : Musical , Poetry ,Love story , Humour, Suspense (in the same order i.e. primarily musical with a hint of suspense)
- The Preface : The tagline of the book title reads – Conversations in Every Heart via Forgotten Art. Conveying messages or in a way , feelings & human emotions through handwritten letters is what has been referred here as forgotten art. The book essentially is the story of a celebrated entrepreneur , Rajvir who, despite being successful, is still a loner at heart. One fine day , as a much needed break from his boring & monotonous life, which primarily revolved around his work only , he decided to go back to his old love – The Books .At the book store , he is surprisingly greeted with a handwritten letter by a stranger , kept in a book. That when the Pandora box opens and he delightfully encounters a series of such letters before eventually discovering the person behind the letters who turns out to be a girl ( That she is a girl has already been mentioned on the Book cover, so I hope I am not giving out anything which I am not supposed to). Besides these two , there’s another character , again a Girl , who is associated with Rajvir through work but over a period time , friendship blossoms . So did it turn out to be a typical Love Triangle? Well for that , you have to read the book but what makes this book different from routine is the way ,the whole narrative has been presented , taking music (largely hindi songs of 90s era) as the base. Lyrics of many songs & even some popular poetry masterpieces have been discussed word by word , line by line.
But does being different always means been good ? Let’s find out .
2. The Verdict :
I would like to quote a few lines from the book itself, which perfectly summarize my review for this book.
- Refer page 6 , para 2, line 2 –
“The entire book was like poetry. Almost confusing. Why would an author change the writing style at the end ? But he was in love with the book & accepted the book with all it’s flaws , like one accepts one’s family with all it’s flaws – a tale of human errors ,decisions & forgiveness.”
- Refer page 15 , para 3, line 2 –
“Feeling the simplicity in each article .They did not have flowery language, but spoke directly from the heart .”
What’s Good :
- Two particular references in the book have been very beautifully & very responsibly presented :
- The case of Eunuchs – I would specially like congratulate the author for bring up their cause so well. Much needed.
- The never say die spirit of Mumbai – We all have heard that , we all have witnessed that ( be it post 2005 floods or the 9/11 ) and we salute Mumbai for that .
2. The detailed information about various songs – lyrics , actors & emotions involved etc.
3. An altogether different perspective towards listening music . For instance , the details about how exactly the rhythm & the beats, combined with the ambiance around affect our neurological system & instigate different human emotions , are really commendable.
What’s Not that Good :
Though the author’s heart is at the right place but probably ,the words & the narrative don’t bring forth the innocence of the characters & their conversations as much as the author might have indented to. The biggest strength of the book is it’s musical narrative with a substantial part of the book talking about songs , their lyrics , detailing of the videos of these songs, left & the right hemispheres of the brain , how they work when music is played etc. But all this may not appeal to a reader who isn’t much into technicalities of music as such .
Also , a lot of effort has been made to put something of everything in the story – poetry, lyrics , songs, love story , suspense etc . While the effort is undoubtedly honest & it reflects too but it would have probably been better if a little more time was given to each of these attributes to develop.
Again , this is my personal opinion and since I am only a good music listener who doesn’t usually bother about the facts like which hemisphere of brain is getting affected while the songs are playing , that’s why , probably , I could not connect with the contents of the book in one go. However, music enthusiasts in all probabilities will embrace the book like anything , for every single word of the book oozes something or the other about music.
3. A Word for the Writer :
Hey Rimple , I hope you would take my review in good spirits . Though I may perhaps need another reading before developing a liking for the book , but I would certainly like to congratulate you for being daring enough to come up with something which is different from what you call , a run of the mill stuff .
I truly had a different kind of experience while reading this book , a kind of musical dosage , thanks to you .
Congratulations Again !
4. A word for the publishers : Congratulations for your new launch. But there are some minor printing errors , specially with respect to punctuation marks ,which need to be rectified . For instance , refer page 4 , last two lines .
Printed matter : “The silly little letter had connected with him with a warm & emotional book.Life is good,” he thought, & fell asleep.
Correct sentence : The silly little letter had connected with him with a warm & emotional book. “Life is good,” he thought, & fell asleep.
To Readers : I hope you find my review helpful.Would love to hear your feedback !!
Namaste & take care !
You can reach me at :
or at :